What is mentoring?
Mentoring is defined by the Cambridge dictionary as the act or process of helping and giving advice to a younger or less experienced person, especially in a job or at school.
There are three types of mentoring:
- Group mentoring;
- Peer mentoring; and
- One on one mentoring
Each type brings different rewards and benefits.
How does mentoring support women in security and technology fields?
- Guide and make recommendations to assist with traditional or non-traditional training pathways
- Provide support and guidance when navigating through challenges and industry issues
- Provide insight into industry certifications
- Provide encouragement
- Work to develop a career plan and achievement of goals
- Mentor the mentee to be come a leader
- Recommend them for job promotions, salary increases and more responsibilities to guide them into positions of leadership
- There are many more ways in which mentors provide support to women in security and technology fields
Does mentoring contribute to increased success in your career?
- Research has shown, women who receive mentoring achieve a greater level of career success.
- Organizations who have active mentoring programs benefit from increased employee retention, and overall job satisfaction.